Cedar Point ‘20
Who: Students currently enrolled in Physical Science, Physics, Advanced Physics, or AP Physics; have at least a C in all their classes for the 3rd card marking and prior to the trip; have no attendance issues (more than three tardies in a class second semester is considered an attendance issue); or have behavior issues (being suspended any time during the year is an example of a behavior issue)
What: An all-day field trip to an amusement park of Mr. O’Hagan’s choice
Where: Cedar Point
When: Monday, May 18, 2020 (leave at 7:30 am and return at 10:00 pm)
Why: To explore/experience the physical principles we’ve learned in class
How To Make This Happen:
If you would like to take advantage of this opportunity, be one of the first 50 students to sign up on the morning of Tuesday, April 16th. Sign up will begin at 6:45 AM.
In order to sign up you need to have the Cedar Point Rules/Info form and the SHS Permission form filled out, and have a check (no cash) for $65 made out to Stevenson High School.
Once you have signed up, you cannot get a refund unless Mr. O’Hagan can get someone to take your place. He will maintain a wait list to expedite this process.
The Schedule For The Day Of The Trip:
As soon as you get to school, check in with Mr. O’Hagan in the south cafeteria. The charter bus will be leaving Stevenson at 7:30. If you are late we will leave you behind and you will not get a refund.
Once we get to Cedar Point you will be spending the morning gathering data and solving problems about the rides. Between 12:00 and 1:00, we will meet at a designated location and you will take a quiz about what you’ve learned. You can then enjoy the park for the rest of the day (until 7:30).
We will all meet at a designated spot at 7:30 for the bus ride home. This should get us back to Livonia by 10:00. We will not be stopping anywhere on the way home.
Remember that May is still spring – it is NOT summer yet. It may be warm during the day, but it will probably be fairly cool by 5:00. Please dress accordingly.
Bring money for meals.
Bring sunscreen. Seriously, BRING SUNSCREEN.
We will be going even if the weather is questionable. If the weather is so severe that we must cancel the trip, only the portion of the money for admissions to Cedar Point can be refunded. The cost of the bus will already have been paid, and that money cannot be recovered.
Students taking physics are generally pretty good. But just so you’re not surprised by anything, here are five rules for the trip.
- School rules will be enforced during the entire trip. (This includes the dress code. If you have on an inappropriate shirt, you will not be going on the trip and no refund. If you’re wearing a bathing suit without clothes over it, you will not be going on the trip and no refund. I hope you get the idea.)
- If you bring beverages on the bus, they must have their original seal intact (it can’t be opened before you get on the bus).
- Bags, purses, backpacks, etc. will be checked as you get on the bus to insure nothing inappropriate is going on the trip with us.
- While at Cedar Point you must be with at least one other person at all times during the day (the “buddy system”). The chaperones would really like it if you went around in three or four giant packs. If you are seen alone, you will get to hang out with the chaperones for the rest of the day.
- If you are substantially late for the bus ride home (about 15 minutes or more), one of the chaperones will stay behind and wait for you while the bus returns to Livonia. Your parents will have to come down and pick you and the chaperone up and transport everyone back to school. This makes for an uncomfortable car ride home.