Something to keep in mind...
When children do an unkind deed, use inappropriate language, or just need a break from what they are doing, send them to the Break Jar to get a slip of paper that gives instructions.
On the slips of paper can be anything like:
- using a thesaurus write 10 synonyms for kindness
- using a map name 10 states and their capitals
- using five adjectives describe a place you would like to go
- add up the numbers 1-10
- write the odd numbers between 70 and 100
- write the names of 10 people you know
- write seven number equations that are equal to 53
- write your 9x multiplication facts
- draw four things that rhyme with cat
- write 10 antonyms for not kind
- describe what you like to do best
- write how to make your favorite sandwich
- write 5 facts about yourself
The list could go on forever....
This is a great way to redirect your child and give them a chance to take a break and "reset" themselves!