Playing games is a quick way to develop reading, math, communication and social skills!
- Crazy Eights
- Double Solitaire
- Go Fish
No winner or loser games just great "time passers" especially when in the car, waiting at a doctor's office, waiting for food to arrive at a restaurant, etc.
License Plate Word Search
- RER 123 Roosevelt Elementary Rocks
- DDW 123 Don't Drive Walk
I Spy ABC
- something that begins with an A-automobile
- something that begins with a B-Burger King
I Spy Colors
- a green car
- a red sign
- an orange sun
I Spy Shapes
- diamond-people crossing
- circle-car tire
I'm going on a picnic (bear hunt, long trip, etc.)
Goal is for other players to take something within the pattern the leader is establishing, but the pattern is not identified-others try to determine the pattern. Play continues until the pattern is determined. Suggestions for patterns: ABC, Colors, Something that starts with the first letter of each players name,
- I'm going to take an apple
- I'm going to take a banana
- I'm going to take cake "Is the pattern ABC? "Yes!" and that player becomes the leader.
Make up songs to familiar tunes
Recite nursery rhymes
Make up poetry
Read quietly, read out loud
Make up Mnemonic devices-a memory technique to help your brain better encode and recall important information.
- Wait Why Am I Talking
- Think T Think: is it Helpful? Is it Inspiring? Is it Necessary? Is it Kind?
- Dad Dear and delightful
- Mom-Mother of many
Rhyme Time-each person supplies a rhyme, take turns selecting the rhyming word.
- First person: the word is dog
- Second person: the word is fog
- Third person: the word is log
Make this game more challenging...
- First person: The word is dog. I see a dog.
- Second person: I see a dog, he is hopping like a frog.
- Third person: I see a dog, he is hopping like a frog, over a big log.
Great travel companions:
- Magna Doodles
- Individual whiteboards with markers and eraser
- Clipboards with paper, pencils, crayons, washable markers, color pencils
- Word searches