ACAT (Housed at Webster Elementary)
Elementary-aged students who demonstrate advanced academic achievement and ability may benefit from a specialized program. Livonia Public Schools has a program dedicated to providing gifted and talented students with a nurturing environment where a rigorous curriculum and social emotional learning form the foundations of this unique environment. Students have opportunities for essential interaction with peers who exhibit similar abilities, interests, and talents.
The program is called ACAT (Alternative Classrooms for the Academically Talented) and is offered in grades 1-6. The program is housed at Webster Elementary School, 32401 Pembroke, Livonia 48152. The ACAT program has been serving students and families in Livonia for 46 years.
Frequently Asked Questions about the ACAT Program
Who can be considered for the ACAT program?
Any student currently in grades Kindergarten - 4th who lives within LPS district boundaries or is already attending school in LPS through the Schools of Choice program.
Can students who live outside of the Livonia Public Schools boundary area attend the ACAT program?
Yes. Each spring, students who live outside of LPS are considered through the Michigan Schools of Choice process. Specific information for the upcoming 2022-2023 school year will be made available during the first week of April, 2022.
Does my child need to be nominated by their current teacher?
No. This is not a requirement to apply to the ACAT program.
How are students identified to attend the ACAT program?
Numerous factors are considered when determining who would be best served by attending the ACAT program. Students who demonstrate advanced mathematical and reading skills based on i-Ready results are invited to interact with the Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT). During CogAT testing parents/guardians and the current classroom teacher are asked to complete a student inventory. Finally, a group of Webster Elementary staff works to identify individuals who would benefit from the ACAT program.
Is my child eligible for bussing to Webster Elementary?
Yes. All students who live within Livonia Public Schools boundaries are eligible to take the bus to Webster Elementary.
When do new students start in the ACAT program?
Eligible students start at the beginning of the next school year.
ACAT IMPORTANT DATES:
- November 29, 2021: the 2022-2023 school year application opens for students who live within LPS district boundaries or who already attend LPS through Schools of Choice. New, Schools of Choice applications for entry into the ACAT program at the beginning of the 2022-2023 school year will become available during the first week of April, 2022. Applications will be available online on the LPS and Webster websites.
- December 9, 2021: a virtual ACAT informational meeting will be held from 6:30 - 7:30 p.m. All LPS district and non-district families are welcome. SEE INFORMATIONAL FLYER HERE.
- January - March, 2022: CogAT assessment by appointment at Webster Elementary.
- February 4, 2022: application deadline.
- April, 2022: families are informed of their child’s status for the 2022-2023 school year.
- April 4, 2022: Schools of Choice information available for those who live outside of the LPS district.
If you have any questions regarding the program, please contact Webster Elementary School at (734) 744-2795 ext. 34967 or you may email the ACAT Teacher Facilitator, David Zyczynski, at firstname.lastname@example.org.