Summer Activities for Students with Special Needs
FUN & FUNCTIONAL WAYS TO KEEP MOVING OVER THE SUMMER
- Take a walk at a brisk pace, the dog needs the exercise!
- Bathe the dog (he’s dirty from the walk!)
- Wash the car
- Stack the patio chairs
- Haul the garbage/recycle bins in and out
- Carry buckets of water for flowers, plants or trees or use spray bottle or hose with sprayer
- Do yardwork: rake leaves, sweep driveway, shovel sand, push wheelbarrow, squat to weed or plant flowers
- Push the grocery cart in the store (it’s air conditioned!)
- Carry the groceries in
- Put the groceries away, squat for low shelves and reach on tip toes for high shelves
- Wipe the table after dinner using a large sponge and use hand muscles to squeeze it out
- Tie garbage bags up and carry out to bin
- Help out with laundry: sort, load the washer, move clothes from washer to dryer
- Fold the laundry and put away in drawers-bend from the knees, not the waist
- Pick up your clothes from the floor and hang them on a hanger-use 2 hands!
- Wash the windows and mirrors
- Your hand muscles need work, too:
- Learn to shuffle cards
- Put a rubber band around the deck of cards when you’re done
- Stack pennies/coins and count your change
- Connect paper clips into a chain
- Cut out coupons
- Fold paper to make yourself a fan
- Do puzzles
- Play Checkers, Connect Four or other board games
- Can’t get to the gym? Create one at home:
- Long sit (back straight, legs in front, knees straight, toes pointing up) to watch TV
- Wall push ups
- Practice going up and down the stairs with 1 foot on each step, right then left
- Chair squats-practice getting in and out of chair without using your arms-no flopping!
- Practice passing a small item (keys, rolled up pair of socks, ball) from 1 hand to the other. Mix it up by passing it under a chair to the other hand, behind the chair to the other hand.
- Stand with feet apart, drop an object over your shoulder, then bend and pick it up, 10 times!
- For a real challenge, stand with feet apart and pass a small object down under your leg while marching in place
- Just move: Yoga, dance, gymnastics, swimming, sports of all kinds, bowling, Wii Sports