In a few weeks, students will be reading a superhero graphic novel of their choice from a short list of possibilities. There will be time to read these in class, although students will likely need some time outside of class to complete the reading and the assignment.
I have a class set of graphic novels, but they can't leave the classroom since I only have the one set. Students may want to purchase their chosen novel for outside reading.
I have included a list of possible choices, along with a 'rating' and/or notes so that you can be aware of potentially controversial material.
Graphic novel choices:
- Robin: Year One
- Batgirl: Year One
- Both of these are in my classroom and have little to no objectionable material. I would rate them as PG.
- The Dark Knight Returns
- Identity Crisis
- Both of these are in my classroom and are fairly dark in content. They contain violence and some potentially objectionable material, although not extreme. I would rate both as PG 13.
- The most famous graphic novel and one of Time magazine's 100 greatest novels of all time. Complex and mature, and should be considered R rated. I do not have this one in my collection.
Other possible choices:
- Infinity Gauntlet
- Civil War
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- Captain Marvel: Higher, Further Faster
- Daredevil by Frank Miller (artist/writer)
- Ms Marvel: No Normal
- Kingdom Come
- Thor: Goddess of Thunder
- Planet Hulk
- Wolverine: Old Man Logan
- World War Hulk
- X Men: Dark Phoenix
- Spider-Man: Back in Black
Alternately, you may choose your own so long as it adheres to the following requirements:
- Fairly lengthy--nothing excessively short
- Fairly mature--no purely 'kid stuff' stories
- Must be superhero themed
I suggest you look for 'best superhero graphic novels' to find possible choices. Please approve them with me BEFORE you purchase!
Degrees and Certifications:
I have been teaching MACAT ELA for nearly 20 years. My goals are to improve students' ability to produce and consume language in its many forms (and also to rule the world). Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.