Administrator of Information and Instructional Technology
Degrees and Certifications:
Tim Klan has been working in the technology field for more than 22 years. He began his technology career in business, where he owned his own company that provided computer training and support to area businesses and local school districts.
In 1998, he accepted the position of Director of Technology for Garden City Public Schools, where he remained for 16 years. In March of 2014, Mr. Klan was hired into his current position as Administrator of Information Technology with Livonia Public Schools.
Mr. Klan is responsible for the overall planning, organization, and execution of all IT functions throughout the district. This includes directing all IT functions to meet staff and student requirements, as well as the development of new technical solutions.
The Information Technology (IT) Department’s primary function is to provide service to the students, parents, teachers, administration and support staff of the school district. The major service areas supported include: Software Applications, Networking, Operations, Pupil Accounting and Registration, State Reporting, Helpdesk, Technical Support and equipment repair to all school locations.
Some the applications supported include:
- Student Registration and Demographic Records
- Student Transportation
- Student Attendance
- Student Scheduling
- Progress Reports
- Report Cards
- Teacher Grade Book
- ParentConnect and StudentConnect
- Edulink Communication System
- Library Management Software
- And Many More
Information Technology Supports:
- District’s 28 Miles of Private Fiber Optic Cable Connecting all district Facilities into a Wide Area Network (WAN)
- Local Area Network (LAN)
- Over 5,000 Desktops
- Over 10,000 Mobile Devices (iPads and Chromebooks)
- Over 1,100 Wireless Access Points
- 3,000 Interactive Data Projectors, Document Cameras, and Classroom Amplification Systems.
- VOIP Phone System
- District Firewall
- Content Filtering System
- Email System
- Internet Access
- User Helpdesk
- Support and Maintenance Services on all Computers and Learning Devices
- Audio Visual and Paging Equipment Support and Maintenance
The core curriculum at each grade level is based on K-12 exit goals. The curriculum includes shared goals spanning all subject areas and specific goals. Our curriculum is designed to prepare students for the 21st century. Our instructional staff continuously align their classroom instruction to the goals of the core curriculum
Student Goals Shared by all Content Areas
All subject areas must provide learning experiences which enable students to:
The Instructional Technology Goals are based on the state and national standards for technology. These include:
- Respect self, others, and the environment.
- Communicate effectively.
- Know how to learn and work productively.
- Acquire and process information.
- Use critical and creative thinking to make decisions and solve problems.
- Work and participate independently and cooperatively.
- Acquire a core of understandings and competencies within the content areas.
- Creativity and Innovation: Students demonstrate creative thinking, construct knowledge, and develop innovative products and processes using technology.
- Communication and Collaboration: Students use digital media and environments to communicate and work collaboratively, including at a distance, to support individual learning and contribute to the learning of others.
- Research and Information Fluency: Students apply digital tools to gather, evaluate, and use information.
- Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision Making: Students use critical thinking skills to plan and conduct research, manage projects, solve problems, and make informed decisions using appropriate digital tools and resources.
- Digital Citizenship: Students understand human, cultural, and societal issues related to technology and practice legal and ethical behavior.
- Technology Operations and Concepts: Students demonstrate a sound understanding of technology concepts, systems, and operations.
Department Phone Number
734-744-2500, ext. 42175
Other Department Staff:
- Jim Seay, Network Manager
- Ryan Featherston, Network Administrator
- Tyler Duncan, Systems Administrator
- Al Schober, Systems Analyst
- Scott Moore, Application Support Supervisor
- Cindy Monk, Systems Operator
- Karen Oaks, Secretary
- Judi Glatfelter, HelpDesk
- Ross Owens, Systems Analyst
- Tom Lightner, Technology Support Technician
- Todd Szalai, Technology Support Technician