Volunteer in our LMC!
Our Library Media Center is always looking for caring adults interested in helping in the LMC. We have several different types of volunteer opportunities in our LMC, including weekly, monthly, and special events during the school year.
If you would like to volunteer in the library, please email Mrs. Acker.
Welcome to the Johnson LMC!
Did you know that reading with your child for 20 minutes a day is the best investment your family can make in their future? Research shows that children who read just 20 minutes per day score in the 90th percentile on standardized tests.
Library Curriculum Standards
Standard 1: Access information efficiently and effectively to inquire, think critically, and gain knowledge
- Recognize the need for information
- Formulate questions based on information needs
- Identify various potential sources of information
- Develop and use successful strategies for locating information
- Seek information from diverse sources
Standard 2: Evaluate information critically and competently
- Determine accuracy, relevance, and comprehensiveness of information
- Distinguish among fact, point of view, and opinion
- Identify inaccurate and misleading information
- Select information appropriate to the problem or question
Standard 3: Use information accurately, creatively, and ethically to share knowledge and to participate collaboratively and productively as a member of a democratic society
- Organize information for practical application
- Integrate new information into own schema
- Produce and communicate information and ideas in appropriate formats
- Uses problem-solving techniques to devise strategies for improving process or product
- Practice ethical behavior when using print and digital resources (including freedom of speech, intellectual freedom, copyright, and plagiarism)
Standard 4: Appreciate literature and other creative expressions of thoughts and ideas and pursue knowledge related to personal interests and aesthetic growth
- Cultivate a love of reading and become a self-motivated reader
- Develop a knowledge of genres and literary elements
- Derive meaning from informational texts in various formats
Standard 5: Understand and practice Internet safety when using any electronic media for educational, social, or recreational purposes
- Practice strategies that promote personal safety and protect online and offline reputation
- Recognize that networked environments are public places governed by codes of ethical behavior
- Practice positive digital citizenship
- Distinguish website authority, validity, and purpose
- Understand the need for protecting personal privacy when using public access to digital sources
- Protect personal information and electronic devices in an online environment