- Roosevelt Elementary School
Roosevelt Elementary School Week of November 3, 2019
Posted by WILLIAM GREEN on 11/3/2019
Good morning Roosevelt families,
Can you believe November is here already?
Approximately once a month all k-4 classes meet in the gym to review and discuss universal character traits. September's focus was RESPECT, while we focused on RESPONSIBILITY in October. For November we let the students vote. The character element of GRIT won out, so GRIT IS IT for November. Throughout the year teachers integrate the various character traits within their lessons and activities throughout the day. This aligns with one of our school beliefs, which is the Roosevelt staff will provide a safe, nurturing and respectful environment where all students can grow to become reflective and inquisitive learners. Feel free to visit our district website to learn more about our Community With Character.
As a reminder, set your clocks back one hour today as Daylight Savings Time ends. This used to be more exciting when you had to remember to set them back yourself. Now a lot of our digital devices automatically set the clocks back for us. Visit this Daylight Saving Time article to create some Sunday conversation on this topic.
AMERICAS FUNNIEST HOME VIDEOS
Brennan H., along with the Xaidan and Xavier G., Colin G., Leo W., and Jax C. will have a video on America's Funniest Video's that will air this Sunday(tonight)! It's a video from Livonia Parks and Recreation Coach Pitch - the boys, along with other Roosevelt students, were on the Pirates team. Brennan is the batter and hits a ball right at his dad, but makes it into a bucket....hole in one! Congratulations!
PROMOTING GREAT SPEECH AND LANGUAGE SKILLS FROM MRS. SHANKER AND MRS. DEGENER
As the weather changes and we start spending more time indoors, we would like to offer some suggestions for games and activities that are fun to play with your child(ren), and which boosts speech and language skills! Board games and other interactive games give children practice with many skills that improve expressive language, vocabulary, describing, grammar, turn-taking, social skills, articulation (speech sounds) and fluency. Here are some suggestions:
Apples to Apples: Practices word relationships, describing, comparing/contrasting, and vocabulary.
Cariboo: Practice with requesting, conceptual skills and turn-taking.
Guess Who: Works on attention, auditory comprehension, description skills, formulating questions, memory, reasoning and sequencing skills.
Headbanz: Practice with attention, asking and answering questions, understanding categories, vocabulary, memory, cognitive organization, and sequencing.
Outburst: Works on auditory comprehension, cognitive organization, and reasoning, memory.
Rory's Story Cubes: Build your own stories, practice with grammar, vocabulary building, expanding sentences, sequencing stories, and many other language skills.
Scattergories: Practice with rapidly naming items in categories, which works on concepts and ideas by strengthening connections in the brain.
Spot it!: Works on attention, reasoning, and visual-spatial skills.
Mrs. Shanker and Mrs. Degener
Roosevelt Speech/Language Pathologists
PTA REFLECTIONS REMINDER
Has your child expressed an interest in PTA Reflections? The 2019-2020 Look Within informational flyer is attached. The entry deadline is November 14. Thank you to Ms. Walczyk for chairing this PTA sponsored event. Questions? Her contact information is on the attached flier.
Follow us on Twitter! Roosevelt now has a Twitter account. Follow us @RooseveltTigers for the latest happenings at our school.
Take a look below to see what is taking place this week at Roosevelt Elementary School.
Sunday, November 3, 2019
- Daylight Savings Time Ends. Set your clocks back one hour.
Monday, November 4, 2019
- Goodfellow Canned Food Drive Continues.
- Please consider coming to see Brooks Gibbs speak on Monday, November 4, 2019, at the beautiful Franklin High School Performing Arts Center on the topic of "Raise them Strong!!" The event is free of charge and we will be providing some light refreshments prior to the 6 pm start time (doors open at 5:30 pm).
Tuesday, November 5, 2019
- No school for students. Teaching staff will be engaging in a variety of Professional Development opportunities while voting takes place in the gym
Wednesday, November 6, 2019
- PTA meeting at 7:00 p.m.
Thursday, November 7, 2019
- ASD Preschool Conferences after school.
Friday, November 8, 2019
- ASD Preschool Conferences. No ASD preschool today.
- Red Wings Assembly. Students are encouraged to wear Red Wing gear or dress in red and white.
ON THE HORIZON
- November 11: Veteran's Day
- November 12: Bowling program starts at Merri-Bowl. See attached.
- November 14: MOD Pizza Night: Battle of the Schools (Round 2).
o PTA fundraiser as we are going up against Randolph Elementary to see who can raise more money. Last year Roosevelt raised more per pupil, but Randolph raised a higher total.
- November 15: PTA Reflections entry deadline. See the above and attached.
- November 21: NUTS ABOUT SCIENCE: Freaky Physics begins. See attached registration.
- November 22: PTA Popcorn Friday/Spirit Day-Disney Day/November birthday lunch with Mr. Green
- November 23: MSU Girl Stem Day is attached
- November 27-29: Thanksgiving Vacation
Have a lovely week!
Notice of Nondiscrimination
Livonia Public Schools prohibits unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, height, weight, marital status, handicap or disability in any of its educational programs or activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries and grievances regarding discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, height, weight, and marital status-Director of Human Resources, 15125 Farmington Road, Livonia, MI 48154at (734) 744-2566. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries and grievances regarding discrimination based on handicap or disability-Director of Student Services, 15125 Farmington Road, Livonia, MI 48154 at (734) 744-2524.