- Roosevelt Elementary School
Roosevelt Elementary School
Posted by WILLIAM GREEN on 1/5/2020
Welcome back to school Roosevelt Tigers!
As we approach our return to school, here are the updates for the week of January 6, 2020. If you are like me, you probably need some time to shake the rust off from vacation. Therefore I send you the weekend update a day early. A big thank you for all the holiday wishes and gifts. You really made me feel special!
I hope your vacation time was enjoyable as the Roosevelt staff looks forward to a wonder filled, fun, and productive 2020 working with your children.
THINGS TO DO WITH THIS EBLAST
- Read the information.
- Open and review the various attachments.
- Order Pizza Kits
ART NEWS FROM MRS. CONNORS
November and December
- Kindergarteners learned about abstract art and created art by tearing paper and gluing it collage style to another paper. Next, they created a self -portrait and then we read the story Mouse Paintand created colors from the 3 primary colors on our own mouse.
- 1stGrade learned how lines become shapes and we did a shape search in the art room and then a shape project. Then we learned about the primary colors and painted with them.
- 2ndGrade finished their texture project and then began learning about symmetry and just finished some cute symmetrical snowman using snowflakes they made for the body.
- 3rdGrade learned about organic and geometric shapes. They made fun lava lamps using those shapes and then painted a color wheel after learning about the primary and secondary colors.
- 4thGrade learned about perspective in art and created a snowman using a different perspective than usually done with oil pastels. Those were messy. Then they had a review of primary and secondary color and completed a color wheel.
The whole school will begin a clay unit in January!!! It's their favorite and mine!!
It's time to reserve your spot for the 2020 Roosevelt Floor Hockey line up! See the attached form and please sign up by January 8, 2020.
PE UPDATES FROM MRS. PLUM
Hello Roosevelt Families! Students have been working hard in PE. We have been using Tabata warm-ups to develop our muscles. Tabata training is a high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workout, featuring exercises that last four minutes. Students have been practicing their hand dribble and basketball shooting skills as well as jumping skills. 4th grade families: Your child can ski/snowboard for free this winter at participating ski areas with the Cold is Cool Passport. Visit https://www.goskimichigan.com/cold-is-cool/ for more information. Looking ahead to 2020, we will be hosting instructors from the City of Livonia golf program as well as participating in the American Heart Association's Kids Heart Challenge.
I bet everyone could use a break from cooking. Please consider supporting our PIZZA KIT sale. Handouts went home and 371298 is our school code should you want to order online at PizzaKit.com. The top seller from the building gets to shadow Mr. Green for a ½ day and be a student principal with me!
Congratulations to the Roosevelt Tigers who will be represented at our upcoming Livonia PTSA Reflections Ceremony. I am very proud of all of our Reflection submissions. See the information below from Reflections chair Cassie Walczyk.
The link above you can find out winners from our school in the Livonia National PTA Reflections.
Our winners are:
DANCE: Aryambika Singh kindergarten "yoga dance"
FILM PRODUCTION: Giyetri Singh 1st grade "my creative car"
LITERATURE: Jace Walczyk 2nd grade "How to do Karate" ; Jax Walczyk
2nd grade " what a game means to me"
MUSIC COMPOSITION: Giyetri Singh 1st grade "happy sad in me"; Aryambika Singh
Kindergarten "love my teacher"
VISUAL ARTS: Giyetri Singh 1st Grade "look within nature"
SNOW and the COLD
We escaped December with very little snow! The frigid temperatures and snow may be back in January or they may give us a break for a little longer. Nonetheless please ensure your children are dressed for the weather. Please know that children who don't have boots, coat, gloves/mittens, and snow pants are discouraged from playing in the snow. Sitting in wet clothes all day isn't fun! We go outside if temperatures are 15 degrees or above when including the wind chill factor or as they call it today the RealFeel.
THANK YOU FROM MR. DOUG our CROSSING GUARD
"I would like to thank the parents, students and their families for all their wonderful gifts and thoughts to me and my family. I wish all a very Happy New Year".
Take a look at what is taking place this week at Roosevelt and in the weeks to come! A new year brings many exciting opportunities for our families and students.
Monday, January 6, 2020
- School resumes for all Roosevelt students. We will be practicing and reviewing our routines and rules for several days this week. We will need the practice.
- Pizza Kit sale continues until January 22.
Wednesday, January 8, 2020
- Floor Hockey forms due.
Thursday, January 9, 2020
- Nuts About Science after school.
Friday, January 10, 2020
- ASD PM preschool
- PTA Movie Night. See attached.
ON THE HORIZON
- January 15: Pizza Kit orders due.
- January 20: No school: Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- January 22-February 27: Floor Hockey season.
- January 24: PTA Roller skating Night.
- January 27: Kids Heart Challenge Assembly.
- January 31: PTA Popcorn Friday/ PTA Spirit Day (Hat Day) and January birthday lunch with Mr. Green
Please visit the Roosevelt website for complete calendar and school information.
Have a great week as we focus on MINDFULNESS this month. January is always a great month to focus on being reflective.
Notice of Nondiscrimination
Livonia Public Schools prohibits unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, height, weight, marital status, handicap or disability in any of its educational programs or activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries and grievances regarding discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, height, weight, and marital status-Director of Human Resources, 15125 Farmington Road, Livonia, MI 48154at (734) 744-2566. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries and grievances regarding discrimination based on handicap or disability-Director of Student Services, 15125 Farmington Road, Livonia, MI 48154 at (734) 744-2524.