- Roosevelt Elementary School
Roosevelt Elementary School Week of September 8 2019
Posted by WILLIAM GREEN on 9/8/2019
Good evening Roosevelt Elementary School,
Happy National Grandparents Day to our Roosevelt Grandparents! Our Roosevelt Grandparents often provide important roles in helping our students feel safe, cared for and supported. We appreciate your support.
The first week of school went by really fast and we all did really well! Last week not only held the first day of school and all that comes with it, but a PTA meeting and Curriculum Night as well. Relationships and routines will continue to be our main focus this second week of school. We will have our first formal assembly this week where I will introduce the staff to our students and review assembly expectations.
We will also spend the month of September highlighting the word RESPECT and why it is one of Roosevelt the Tiger and the Livonia Public Schools core character elements. Ask your child about Roosevelt the Tiger! You will find Roosevelt the Tiger hanging up in every classroom and around the school. You can also visit Roosevelt the Tiger at the OUR SCHOOL tab on our website. Roosevelt the Tiger has many good tips on how we treat each other and how we should act at our school.
As you know, it is the start of the school year; so many important pieces of information are listed below.
Families have been doing a great job with our arrival and dismissal procedures. Thank you so much. Below are a few reminders.
- Front Loop off of Lyndon is for special education and general education busing only.
- Kindergarten student's arrival and dismissal are at the front of the building. The loop that you enter off of Henry Ruff near the Southwest portion of the lot is for you to either drop off or park.
- Grades 1-4 arrival and dismissal is at the rear of the building. Grades 1-4 families may use either drop off loop that is located on Henry Ruff. Please pull forward all the way to the storage shed.
- Staff begins arrival supervision at 8:45 a.m.
- If you haven't notified your child's teacher of their daily dismissal plan, please do so.
Again, we have plenty of adults outside to help you if you have any questions. Thank you to our crossing guard, Mr. Doug, who provides safety and care each morning on the corner of Henry Ruff and Lyndon.
Boys and girls in grades 1-4 will begin their i-Ready math and reading diagnostics test this week. In addition, over the next several weeks all students will be going through a variety of other reading and math assessments as we collect evidence for next steps of instruction. More details about your child's results will be communicated at parent-teacher conferences in October.
BIRTHDAY TREAT REMINDERS
At Roosevelt, we recognize students' birthdays in a variety of ways and while children are made to feel special all days we ensure they feel extra special on their birthday. This year we are requesting only non-edible birthday treats. Again, the intent is not to take away from your child's special day, but to help us better manage allergy and food handling concerns. Thank you for your understanding and your child's teacher will be communicating the same message in their communications.
CURRICULUM NIGHT SURVEY REMINDER
It was encouraging to see so many families last week at our grades k-4 Curriculum Night. The attendance rate last year was 70% and for this year it was 75%. For those that did not attend, I understand there may have been competing interests. I hope you find time to touch base with your child's teacher as soon as possible. Please take time to complete the following survey https://forms.gle/Ke2UTZ9LVTei8Q2N8
Attached is also a link to the parent guides to Essential Curriculum.
PETS ON SCHOOL PROPERTY REMINDER
Please recall that Mr. Green loves animals, however, they should not be on school property at arrival and dismissal.
PTA COLOR RUN
We only have 1 major fundraiser and Roosevelt Elementary School. The PTA Color Run which takes place right after Open House on September 26, 2019. Paperwork has come home with students, and parents are encouraged to sign their kids up by visiting http://www.getmovinfundhub.com and use the School Identifier code of 5d49bae352e44.
Once registered you can then share your child's fundraising webpage via email to friends and family and post on social media such as Facebook. Of course, old school works as well as you can also use the envelopes that were sent home with your child.
Parents are busy! They can't always help at PTA events. However, an easy way to show support for the Roosevelt PTA is to become a member. The link for parents if they wish to join online is https://tigers.memberhub.store/shopping/items/12229. An envelope to join the PTA will also go home with students.
SCHOOL AGE CHILD CARE (SACC)
SACC Prior to School
- SACC families may enter through the rear receiving door from 7:00-9:00 a.m.
SACC After School Hours
- SACC families may enter through the rear receiving door between 4:00-6:00 p.m. SACC is sending out specific information about the new swipe card entry for SACC families. Front door drop-off and pick-up from SACC is not permitted.
Please contact Ms. Arnold in SACC if you have any questions.
WELCOME TABLE REMINDER
Each morning a member of the Roosevelt PTA community will be stationed in our main lobby from 9:00-9:20 a.m. Their role is to provide support to the office for students who arrive late or deliver items that are were accidentally left at home (lunches, coats, etc.) Thank you again to the Welcome Table staff who help to provide an orderly arrival for our Roosevelt Tigers.
Take a look below to see what is taking place this week at Roosevelt Elementary School.
Monday, September 9-Friday, September 13, 2019
- We practice a variety of emergency drills throughout the school year. This week we will conduct fire, tornado, and lockdown drills with boys and girls. Visit https://www.ready.gov/kidsto learn more about home plans for disasters
Wednesday, September 11, 2019
- Recognition of Patriot Day and a National Day of Service and Remembrance. The government website at https://www.youtube.com/user/kidsgovis the YouTube kid's portal channel for the U.S. government.
Friday, September 13, 2019
- ASD AM preschool
ON THE HORIZON
- September 16: Picture Dayfor grades k-4.
- September 17: Classes celebrate Constitution Day by engaging in lessons throughout the day that highlight an aspect of our government.
- September 26: Nuts About Science: Crazy Chemistry.Visit www.nutsaboutscience.com to register.
- September 26: PTA Color Run and Open House. See flyer that was sent home Friday regarding the evening's events and will be advertised throughout the month of September.A blurb is above regarding how to register your child to participate in the fundraising portion.
- September 27: Principal birthday lunch for children born in August and September. PTA Crazy Sock Day and Popcorn Day.
- COMING SOON: Parent-Teacher conference sign-up via the internet.
Have a nice week and please visit the Roosevelt website for complete calendar information and much, much more!
Notice of Nondiscrimination
Livonia Public Schools prohibits unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, height, weight, marital status, handicap or disability in any of its educational programs or activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries and grievances regarding discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, height, weight, and marital status-Director of Human Resources, 15125 Farmington Road, Livonia, MI 48154at (734) 744-2566. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries and grievances regarding discrimination based on handicap or disability-Director of Student Services, 15125 Farmington Road, Livonia, MI 48154 at (734) 744-2524.